Def Jam co-founder among GLAAD Media Awards honorees
On Saturday, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) held their annual media awards ceremony in New York City.
Among the honorees this year was Def Jam co-founder Russell Simmons. He received the GLAAD Excellence in Media Award for his contributions to diversity and equality initiatives.
In his 2007 book, “Do You!”, Simmons spoke out for equality.
“You can’t only support diversity and freedom when your rights are at stake”, he wrote. “You should fight for those concepts for everyone, all of the time. You should speak out against prejudice whether it’s directed toward African Americans, Asian-Americans, Latinos, Muslims, Christians, Jews, blacks or white, gay or straight, women, whoever. Because an attack against any group is an attack against you.”
The Rev. Al Sharpton presented the award to Simmons.
A full list of GLAAD Media Awards recipients:
- Excellence in Media Award: Russell Simmons
- Vito Russo Award: Ricky Martin
- Outstanding Drama Series: True Blood (HBO) [Accepted by: Denis O'Hare]
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBT character): “Klaus & Greta” 30 Rock (NBC) [Accepted by: Tina Fey]
- Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia: “Bridal Bliss: Aisha and Danielle” by Bobbi Misick (Essence.com) [Accepted by: Aisha Mills and Danielle Moodie, with Essence.com editor, Emil Wilbekin]
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: “Ricky Martin Coming Out as a Gay Man and a New Dad” The Oprah Winfrey Show (syndicated)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: “Gay Teen Suicides” (series) Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Rutgers Student Tyler Clementi’s Suicide Spurs Action Across U.S.” by Judy Peet (The Star-Ledger [Newark, N.J.])
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Rich (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: Denver Post
- Outstanding Magazine Article: “What Happens When You Find the One…And He’s Nothing – Nothing – Like You Expected?” by Allison Cooper (O, The Oprah Magazine)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “View From Washington” (series) by Kerry Eleveld (Advocate.com)
- Outstanding Blog: Joe. My. God. (http://joemygod.blogspot.com/)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Scissor Sisters, Night Work (Downtown Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: X-Factor by Peter David (Marvel Comics)
- Outstanding Los Angeles Theater: Something Happened by L. Trey Wilson
- Outstanding New York Theater: Broadway & Off–Broadway: The Pride by Alexi Kaye Campbell
- Outstanding New York Theater: Off–Off Broadway: When Last We Flew by Harrison David Rivers
Spanish-language award recipients included:
- Outstanding Novela: ¿Dónde está Elisa?(Telemundo)
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: TIE: “Mamá vístete de hombre” Casos de Familia (Univision) and “La Proposición 8″ Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: “Saliendo del closet después de los 30″ El Show de Cristina (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: “En nombre del amor” Primer Impacto (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: “Aumenta el hostigamiento” Despierta América (Univision)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Acosados hasta el punto del suicidio” by Rubén Moreno (La Opinión)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: “Estoy feliz de ser quien soy” by María Morales (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “Fedro llegó para quedarse” by Amy Linares (PadrisimoMagazine.com)
You can support independent, local LGBT media!
Give a one-time gift or sign up for ongoing voluntary online subscription to support qnotes' nearly three-decade long community service and keep our publication's dynamic, hard-hitting and insightful news and entertainment coverage alive. Click here to support us today.
About the author: Matt Comer is the editor of QNotes, first hired to serve in the role in October 2007. He can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 704-531-9988, ext. 202. Follow him online at facebook.com/matthew.mh.comer or at twitter.com/themattcomer.