U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts granted a motion to stay a...
Recapping music’s ‘gay moments’
Updated: July 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm
Billboard magazine, the music chart Bible, marked LGBT Pride Month and the June 24 passage of equal marriage rights in New York by compiling a list of “20 musical moments that were pivotal in advancing the understanding and acceptance of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.”
The list spans widely, including artists coming out (N’Sync’s Lance Bass, country star Chely Wright), memorable performances (Rufus Wainwright aping Judy Garland, Adam Lambert glamming up American Idol), Glee’s swoon-worthy Kurt and Blaine making beautiful music on TV and gay pioneers Tom Robinson, Sylvester and ‘80s synth-pop band Bronski Beat blazing the trail.
Here’s a partial recap of the list:
• Openly gay teen characters Kurt Hummell (Chris Colfer) and Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss) meet on Glee.
• Ricky Martin comes out in his 2010 memoir, Me. Nobody is surprised, but most are happy for him.
• Adam Lambert, pictured, rocks American Idol and guyliner. Middle-aged women get the vapors.
• “I Kissed A Girl,” quirky singer Jill Sobule declared in ‘95, years before Katy Perry charted with her same-titled but different hit.
• In 2007, Enrique Iglesias performed live at London’s G-A-Y club to honor his LGBT fans. (Watch the performance of “Hero” on YouTube, it’s great.)
• Chely Wright comes out — creating waves in the staid country music scene.
• Service members affected by “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” escort Lady Gaga to the 2010 MTV VMAs.
See the full list online at Billboard.com. Search for “greatest gay moments” and scroll down. : :
You can support independent, local LGBT media!
Give a one-time gift or sign up for ongoing voluntary online subscription to support qnotes' nearly three-decade long community service and keep our publication's dynamic, hard-hitting and insightful news and entertainment coverage alive. Click here to support us today.
About the author: David Stout is the associate editor of QNotes. He can be reached at email@example.com.