Warren Radebe was 24 when he first began coming out to his friends. In his...
City, county closings during DNC
Updated: August 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Here is a look at how some city and county services will be impacted during the Democratic National Convention. For more details, visit dncinfo.charlottenc.gov.
City of Charlotte
• 311 Information Center: Will run from 7 a.m.-1 a.m. Aug. 31-Sept. 6
• Solid Waste Services: Residential trash and recycling will operate on a regular schedule from Sept. 3-7 for those outside of the security perimeter.
For those inside the security perimeter, trash and recycling pickup will occur on normal days, but between 12:01 a.m. and 6 a.m. Yard waste and bulky item collections are suspended for the week
• Utility Payments: No payments will be taken from the Old City Hall drive-up stations Sept. 4-6. But stations at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center and the West Area Service Center will remain open.
• Charlotte Area Transit System: The Charlotte Transportation Center will move Sept. 3-5 to a temporary site at the corner of S. Mint and Third Sts. It’ll be open from 5 a.m.-1:30 a.m. Service returns to the main transportation center on Trade on Sept. 6.
• The LYNX Blue Line: Will stop at the Stonewall St. station from Sept. 3-5. Residents needing to connect to a bus should depart at the Carson St. station. Full service will be restored Sept. 6.
• Gold Rush Service: The Orange Line will run on a modified route from 6:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Sept. 4, and from 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 5. It’ll run from 9 a.m.-6:30 p.m. on Sept. 6. The Red Line will run on a modified route from 6:30 a.m.-6:30p.m. Sept. 4-6. Routes are listed at www.ridetransit.org.
• Human Resources: The city and county HR offices will be open, but job applications must be filed online from Sept. 4-6. No walk-ins will be accepted.
• Police: The uptown Charlotte-Mecklenburg police headquarters will be closed from Sept. 1-6 and reopen on Sept. 7. Online services will be available.
• Courthouse: Courts will operate on a limited basis, but the Clerk of Superior Court and Trial Court Administrator Offices will be open normal hours
• Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center: The lobby level will be open to the public from 7 a.m.-6 p.m. during convention week.
• Charlotte Mecklenburg Library: The Main Branch and ImaginOn will be closed from Sept. 2-8. There also will be no access to book returns at those sites. Other library branches will remain open.
• Register of Deeds: The deeds office will issue marriage licenses from Sept. 4-7, but magistrates will not perform marriage ceremonies that week.
• Homeless Resource Center: The center will be open from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sept. 2-6. Water and snacks, and other services to be offered.
• Park facilities: All parks will be open for business. But shelter and field reservations won’t be accepted at these parks in and around uptown: Alexander St., Bryant, Fourth Ward, Freedom, Frazier, Independence, Latta, Marshall, Ninth St. and Pearle St.
• Memorial Stadium and the Grady Cole Center: Will be closed Aug. 31-Sept. 7. The Mecklenburg Aquatic Center will be closed Aug. 26-Sept.7 for maintenance
• Parking decks: The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center deck on Davidson St. will be closed for employees and customers from Sept. 1-6. It’ll reopen Sept. 7.
The Bob Walton Center lot on Stonewall St. will be open, but you must enter off Stonewall St..
The Hal Marshall Services Center lots on North Tryon St. will be open. Those needing access to main parking lot will need to enter on Phifer St. The annex lot must be accessed from the College St. entrance near 11th St.
— Information courtesy The Charlotte Observer, Mecklenburg County, City of Charlotte.
Reprinted by permission from The Charlotte Observer via Charlotte News Alliance
You can support independent, local LGBT media!
Give a one-time gift or sign up for ongoing voluntary online subscription to support qnotes' nearly three-decade long community service and keep our publication's dynamic, hard-hitting and insightful news and entertainment coverage alive. Click here to support us today.