CHARLOTTE, N.C. — For the seventh year, members of the local LGBT community will join in on the festivities commemorating Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. On Saturday, local members and supporters of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest LGBT civil rights group, will march in the MLK Day Parade.
Community members are invited to join the HRC contingent. Marchers will meet at 10:30 a.m. at the corner of Phifer and N. Tryon Sts. Look for people carrying the HRC flag. After the parade, marchers will gather for lunch and drinks. Location to be announced.
Local supporters of the HRC are currently planning for their upcoming Carolina gala, slated for Saturday, Feb. 23 at the Charlotte Convention Center. Learn more at hrccarolina.org.
Local trash collection holiday schedule
The City of Charlotte Solid Waste Services will not collect garbage, recyclables, yard waste and bulky items on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, Jan. 21. Collection services will operate on a one-day delay for the entire week with Friday customers receiving service on Saturday, Jan. 26.
To ensure collection, residents are reminded to:
- Bag all garbage before placing it in the rollout cart. Do not overfill the cart.
- Remove food/liquid residue and lids from all recyclable containers before placing them in the recycling cart.
- Separate yard waste into piles small enough for one person to carry.
- Call 311 or visit curbit.charlottenc.gov to schedule bulky item collection.
- Place collection items curbside by 6:30 am on collection day. Please do not block the sidewalk.
- Remove garbage and recycling carts from the curb by midnight on collection day.
– from press release