It seems love has gone to the dogs — and the cats, birds, fish and other pets across America.
A recent survey of pet owners found that about 9 million people plan to give a Valentine’s Day gift to their pet.
That may explain why a plethora of posh, pink pet products is hitting store shelves this year. But many of these gifts have a twist: In addition to their focus on style, fashion and fun, part of their proceeds are donated to charities.
So which gifts will be hot this year and which will help you donate to a worthy cause? The American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA) offers this list:
• Celltei offers pink Swarovski heart-shaped pet charms with matching human necklaces and earrings as well as a pink heart-shaped leather carrier. Visit www.celltei.com.
• Petmate’s Pampered Pink products include a heart-shaped bed, portable pet home, kennel cab and stainless style bowls, all in pink, of course. You can visit www.petmate.com.
• With Planet Dog’s Pink Ribbon Ringo ball, you can give a gift twice. For each Ribbon Ringo sold, Planet Dog will donate a minimum of 45 cents to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation with a minimum guaranteed donation of $10,000. Visit www.planetdog.com.
• Similarly, Veterinary Ventures, Inc. donates a portion of the proceeds from the sale of its new pink Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. The product is the only pet fountain developed by a veterinarian and features a free-falling stream of water that encourages pets to drink more water, helping to keep them happy, healthy and hydrated. Visit www.petfountain.com.
• Casco’s BABY biOrb smart aquarium requires just four gallons of water, making it ideal for people with limited space. The tank is virtually self-cleaning, acrylic and comes with stylish tops and bottoms in four different colors, including pastel pink. Visit www.biorbusa.com.
• Crunchkins has released a line of pink and red Crunch Cards for Valentine’s Day. The edible greeting cards are made from a flattened rawhide panel and printed with edible ink. They feature sentiments such as “Love and Licks” and “I Ruff You.” Visit www.crunchkins.com.
• Pink and white Love EEEKs! cat toys from Fat Cat, Inc. are designed especially for the Valentine’s Day holiday. The cat toys are the perfect size to toss and chase, and they’ve been packed with organic zoom-around-the- room catnip and a teensy little rattle. Visit www.fatcatinc.com.
• Doggles Comfort Heart is a pink, heart-shaped pillow that is digitally enhanced to replicate a mother’s heartbeat set on a 30-minute timer. The pillow is great for comforting new puppies or providing extra emotional support to adult dogs that might suffer from separation anxiety. The company also offers pink human-and-pet- matching sunglasses, hats and more. Visit www.Doggles.com.
•Park Avenue Paws (Paws Wholesale) has released an Engraved Sweetheart, a beautiful, fully customizable charm. Small and large hearts with red Swarovski crystals are ideal for Valentine’s Day but many shapes and colored stones are available. Visit www.parkavepaws.com.
• Cain & Able Collection offers a line of Doggie Dental Products, entitled “Kiss-Able.” They’ll feature a toothbrush and an all-natural vanilla toothpaste just in time to make your dog lovable and kissable for Valentine’s Day. Visit www.cainandablecollection.com.
• Show your pet how much she is loved with a gift from Sherpa’s Pink Passion collection. The line features carriers, collars, coats, frames and even a treat jar. Visit www.sherpapet.com.