AboutContact Us

A soldier’s story
Home for a moment

Click here to see a complete listing of our soldier's adventures in Iraq.

Editor’s Note: These are the thoughts of a gay soldier — a North Carolina native — who has been deployed to Iraq. Because of the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, he must remain anonymous.

I will be back in Iraq by the time you read this, but I wanted to tell about some of my experiences while traveling from Iraq to the U.S. for leave. It didn’t exactly start off the best — it was April 24 and I almost didn’t get out of my base camp because a massive rain and dust storm was headed our way. The dust came first and I was having some major anxiety — afraid that I wasn’t going to get on the next helicopter out. Then I heard that flights were being cancelled — but I was lucky enough to get a seat on the last flight out.

As we flew towards Camp Victory the sights from the helicopter were amazing — an incredible view of Saddam Hussien’s Water Palace. From there we proceeded to the military terminal in Baghdad. Initially I was told my leave was for April 28 — so I couldn’t leave until then. By this point I was about to explode — but I managed to pull some strings and get myself and two of my soldiers okayed for leave that night. Unfortunately, red tape ended us up stuck another day before we would finally make the trip to Kuwait.
Coming home I was asked to be a member of a fallen comrades team. I wasn’t exactly sure what that was, but I decided — what the heck — must be a memorial service or something. Not the case. As it would turn out — I ended up escorting a body of a fallen soldier back from Baghdad International Airport to Kuwait and served as a pallbearer.

The casket sat at the base of my feet during the two-hour flight. I have to admit — it was a very sobering experience. I have seen death personally of Iraqi soldiers and local nationals, but to escort one of our own back home was something that will never leave my heart or mind. There were prayers and a full salute — it was emotional and I didn’t even know the guy. I got a lump in my throat and I did shed a few tears.

By the time I got to Kuwait I had gone nearly 30 hours without sleep. Finally the information came that I had been waiting so long to hear: flight number and time for my trip back to the U.S. We flew first through Shannon, Ireland and then to Atlanta. We got into Hartsfield a little early so I was able to bump my flight up and get back to Charlotte even earlier. It was good to see my friend Bert— he picked me up at Douglas International and we shared a few laughs and hugs curbside.

Finally I was home! There was so much to do — places to go, people to see.
My first priority was my partner — getting in early gave me the chance to surprise him at work. We went out for lunch and got to spend a little bit of romantic time together — which was wonderful.

The time we spent together as a couple during my leave has been amazing — seeing our son, playing with the puppies, going to the Biltmore House in Asheville — it was much needed. My partner is truly this soldier’s hero.

I want to make mention of this here — my partner is working to start a support group at the Lesbian and Gay Community Center for veterans and for others in the community that have people serving overseas or in the military currently. It will be a social group for soldiers and loved ones that don’t get the support heterosexual families get from the military. You can get more information on this by contacting The Center directly.

There were a number of things I got to do while back in Charlotte that left me feeling really grounded, refreshed and ready to go back and finish up my tour of duty. I enjoyed a massage at Georgetown Day Spa, The Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner party for MAP, the AIDS Walk and a handful of other events and dinners, which allowed me to see many of my extended family here in Charlotte.

As it looks now — I should be out of Iraq for good sometime late in September or early October. That’s only 145 days at the most — and I’m hoping it will fly by. Then a few weeks of de-briefings with my unit, work at the unit here in the states then back to North Carolina in time for Thanksgiving. I hope I get to go to trick or treating in Charlotte this year.

— Reporting from Iraq,
your friend and soldier from Charlotte.

WWW Q-Notes.Com

Ride ’em cowboy! Queen City Stomp spurs up
Technology tests candidates
N.C. House expulsion could have LGBT impact
Center finds new home
Pride releases 2007 finances
European Scouts take liberal stance on sex, drugs
N.C. gay rights profit from Senator’s wife
10-year study debunks bisexual ‘phase’
Ketner files for coastal congressional run
AFFA celebrates year of achievement
Neal receives key endorsement, makes another
Couples face tax headaches
New website refutes the ‘ex-gay’ myth
HRC to launch second annual True Colors tour

Organically yours: a labor of love
Organic gardening and food tips
Easy ways to live greener
‘Stop-Loss’ examines unjust war policy
Kaki King dreams of another brilliant year
A call for rural queer youth support


find a Q-Notes Newspaper near you
A call for rural queer youth support