Everybody loves the pampering we get at the spa or salon, but those special luxuries can hit your pocketbook hard. These days there are many reasonably-priced ways to indulge yourself with relaxing treatments normally found at top day spas and salons.
Here are some great ideas to treat yourself to some luxurious pampering at home that re-creates the spa experience:
• There are many bath crystals, salts or bubble baths on the market that you can use to make soaking in the tub a relaxing treat. Some calmly-scented candles and soothing music in the background can round out a relaxing experience. You might even try visiting your favorite salon to see if you can purchase some bath salts, oils or bubble bath there. And don’t forget a book by a favorite author to read while in the bath.
• Once you get out of the bath, you can wrap herself in a warm towel from a Towel Spa, a compact home towel warmer. A Towel Spa quickly heats towels, bathrobes and more, so you can step into a towel that feels like it’s fresh from the dryer every day. No one likes those first chilly steps out of the shower or bath, so why not have heated towels just like at the spa? A Towel Spa is available at all Bed Bath & Beyond (www.bedbathandbeyond.com) and Brookstone (www.brookstone.com) locations and online. You can even use it in other rooms of the house to warm up socks or slippers or your favorite throw blankets on the sofa.
• There are plenty of foot care kits on the market containing foot soaks, foot scrubs to rub away calluses and dry skin, and exfoliating and moisturizing foot creams. Consider purchasing a portable foot spa where you can sink your feet into a bubbling foot bath. Some even come with rollers that massage your feet.
• Massage, massage, massage. Either arrange for a masseuse to visit your home for an hour-long session or have your significant other read up on how to give a great massage, hitting all the right pressure points.
• Take a relaxation, yoga, exercise or stretching class at home. With so many self-improvement DVDs and books on the market, buy a couple to choose from to take a spa-quality class in the privacy of her own home. Another option is simply to relax with a new movie to enjoy along with a heated throw blanket on the sofa — heated by your own Towel Spa, of course — and a favorite beverage and snack!
• Have breakfast and lunch brought in from a favorite restaurant. Nothing beats starting off the day with Eggs Benedict or rich French Toast. And don’t forget a little champagne or a Mimosa. Combine favorite fruits with some low-fat yogurt and some honey for a blended drink, just like at the spa. Or, brew up some herbal tea, which can be served hot or iced.
Most importantly, make sure you have enough time to yourself to enjoy all this private pampering without having to tend to the kids and other family members. Set aside time for yourself and before you know it, you’ll feel like you own your own day spa.
— Numerous massage therapists advertise right here in Q-Notes, your only source for region-wide LGBT news and views in the Carolinas. Check their ads out right here in the pages of this issue and in the classifieds section.