Like never before, security breaches have sprung up everywhere across the globe. And, for those who like to find dates in the online dating community, knowing what to do and how to do it is an imperative.
Joe Tracy, the publisher of Online Dating Magazine has put together a great list of tips to use when one wants to make the most out of the date and in a safety-conscious manner.
Tracy says, “Your online dating safety begins with educating yourself on how to improve your experience and be safe doing it.”
The FBI also says that those who are engaged in the online dating scene, should also look out for scams that could bilk one out of hard-earned cash, as well as put one at risk for other illegal activity.
And, lastly, parents should monitor their kids online activity. Often, predators look for young people to exploit. Make sure that teens and young adults are aware of the dangers of anonymous or alias people who may put them at risk.
Online safety tips:
1. Trust your gut instinct.
2. Don’t provide personal information too soon. And, hold off on exchanging addresses until you feel safe and confident in the person you are getting to know.
3. Use a free email account.
4. Use a cell phone or anonymous phone service to chat.
5. Beware of married people, never your home phone number.
6. Look for questionable characteristics in your communication.
7. Ask for a recent photo.
8. Stick with paid online dating services.
9. Don’t get a false sense of security.
10. Meet in a public place for your first meeting. Don’t meet at your home.
11. Remember that alcohol affects your judgment. Drink responsibly and watch your drink carefully to avoid date-rape dosing.
12. Use your own mode of transportation.
13. Always let someone else know where you’re going.
14. Always remain alert.