Drag Herstory: How much do you know about Drag Queens?
Updated: June 30, 2016 at 5:16 pm
ENGAGE: Write a letter to the editor | Comment on this story
Do you know your Drag Herstory? Well for a drag queen it is essential that you know something about the roots of drag, how drag played a role in the LGBT movement and some fun facts. Test your “IQ — Intellectual Queerness” in this Drag Herstory Quiz. How much do you know?
1. Name the transgender activist and drag queen who was a founding member of both the Gay Liberation Front and the Gay Activists Alliance and who once said: “You go to bars because of what drag queens did for you, and these bitches tell us to quit being ourselves!”
A. Sky Quinn
B. Nadia Rain
C. Sylvia Rivera
D. Janet Mock
2. What is the name of the New York bar that has become the focal point for igniting today’s modern LGBT civil rights movement?
A. Blue Bar
C. Mattachine Society
D. Stonewall Inn
3. Origins of the term “drag” are debated, but “drag” first appeared in print as early as:
A. 300 AD
C. 91 BC
4. The origin of the word “Drag” comes from “Dressed as girl” in 1941 by Shakespeare?
5. What is the dance move done by drag queens where a dancer dramatically falls or drops backwards into a struck pose on the ground, usually to end a dance?
C. Heel Pull
D. Death Drop
6. In the 1950s and 1960s, drag was underground and criminalized?
7. José Julio Sarria was the first openly gay person to run for public office in 1961 campaigning for San Francisco City supervisor, the same postition that Harvey Milk would win 16 years later. He didn’t win, but came in ninth out of 32, which was a great accomplishment. He was also a well-known drag queen named Empress José I and went on to found what system?
A. Miss Gay America Pageant System
B. Imperial Court System
C. Entertainer of the Year
D. USofA Pageant System
8. The true-story book of “Fanny and Stella” by Neil McKenna the Victorian England was about the trial in the 1870s of:
A. one drag queen who stole clothing
B. two drag queens who fell in love and owned a fashion apparel company
C. two men who were arrested for being in drag
D. a young boy who grows up losing his parents and becoming a drag queen
9. Known for her scarily arched eyebrows, this drag queen became famous after appearing in a variety of John Waters’ films and is one of most popular drag queens in Western culture. She died prematurely from a hidden heart condition.
A. La Rue
B. Terri Gardener
C. Alan Haynes
10. What is the name of the local Charlotte drag queen who recently passed away. He was a pioneer back in the 1970s and 1980s for the gay movement in the South, helping to raise money for HIV/AIDS and supporting gay military officers?
A. Grand Prix
B. Tracy Morgan
C. Roxy C. Moorecox
D. Brandy Alexander
DRAG TIP: Be sure to not get caught with your wig off. How well do you know your “Drag Herstory?” You must always know the heels you stand in from the drag queens of the past who paved the way.
SHOUT OUTS: Come out to give support on Saturday, July 9 at The Bar at 316 for the “SHOW LOVE FOR ORLANDO” Benefit Drag Show. All proceeds will be donated to victims and the families of the Orlando shooting.
— Buff Faye calls the Queen City her home and loves cuddling her puppies (plus she loves to raise money for charities). Find her at your favorite bars and hot spots. Plus don’t forget her monthly Saturday night shows, drag brunch and regular Friday night party bus. Learn more at AllBuff.com. Follow on Twitter @BuffFaye
1. C., 2. D., 3. B., 4. B., 5. D., 6. A., 7. B., 8. C., 9. D., 10. D.
You can support independent, local LGBT media!
Give a one-time gift or sign up for ongoing voluntary online subscription to support qnotes' nearly three-decade long community service and keep our publication's dynamic, hard-hitting and insightful news and entertainment coverage alive. Click here to support us today.
About the author: Buff Faye calls the Queen City her home and performs to help save the world from Republicans (and raise money for charities). Find her at your favorite bars and hot spots. Plus don’t forget her monthly Sunday drag brunch and regular Friday night party bus. Learn more at AllBuff.com. Follow on Twitter @BuffFaye.