You should always count your blessings in life, no matter what they are or how they come to you. Some drag queens may see the life of a drag queen as a curse at times, but I only see it as a blessing that keeps on giving. This fall 2017 marks my 10 year anniversary doing drag, my “Drag-versary.” So to honor each of the years, I want to share 10 of the things that I love about being a Drag Queen.
10 Things I Love About Being a Drag Queen
1. Giving Back to Charity. I love the fact that on a moment’s notice I can donate my tips or do a fundraiser for a charity. It is a privilege to be able to give back to your community and drag queens have always helped in times of need.
2. Lipstick. I love lipstick, especially leaving a lip imprint on a cheek. It’s like planting your flag: “I have been here! — Muah!”
3. Self-Expression. You get to be whoever you want to be. Drag queens can play with the social construct of gender. And we can use our imagination to evoke an emotion. It’s the ultimate thrill.
4. Getting Paid. Sometimes this is taken for granted. But to get paid to perform is a big deal. Not everyone who does drag cares about the money, but it does help make it more than a hobby.
5. Entertaining the Masses. When you do it right, the best thing about being a drag queen is watching the crowd get excited. Seeing them watch in anticipation and truly appreciate what you are doing as a performer.
6. Growing & Growing. I love looking back and seeing how far I have come each year. How I have changed and grown as a drag queen. This can be in my makeup, my hair, my costumes, my performance value, whatever. Growth is essential to living.
7. Sending a Message. Drag queens have always stood for something greater. Whether standing up against discrimination, acting up against HIV/AIDS or forging the Stonewall Riots, drag queens have led revolutions and still do. I love the times I have to say something, do something and be an advocate for something bigger than myself as a drag queen.
8. Sisterhood. Drag queens are vastly different in how they perform and in who they are. One thing that pulls all drag queens together, though, is the sisterhood it offers and the experience of being a drag queen. I love the sisterhood I have with many drag queens in the city of Charlotte and beyond.
9. Breaking Down Barriers. I love breaking rules as a drag queen. There are no rules when it comes to drag. And those that say there are, are merely afraid of exploring gender fluidity.
10. Finding & Exploring Myself. I never thought I would be a drag queen. My femme characteristics were never embraced when I was a young man. As a result, drag has made me a better person. I am more whole and comfortable in my own skin. Drag has allowed me to break the shackles of manhood and just be me. I can explore without fear and find myself every time I put on a wig to be a drag queen.
Ten years and I have fallen in love with being a drag queen. I am fortunate to be able to share with all of you my love on a weekly basis across the Queen City. If you love being a drag queen, please write why in the comments. If you are not a drag queen, then share in the comments about what you love about drag queens. You don’t always have to tip a dollar to spread the love.
DRAG TIP: Drag queens love hugs too!
SHOUT OUTS: OMG. Check out the Rocky Horror Movie Night that a cast of drag queens are doing at the new Boulevard 1820 on Halloween night, Tuesday, Oct. 31. Learn more online at Boulevard1820.net.
info: Buff Faye calls the Queen City her home and likes to kiss Canyon in drag (and raise money for charities). Find her at your favorite bars and hotspots. Plus don’t forget her monthly Sunday drag brunch and regular Friday night party bus. Learn more at AllBuff.com. Follow on Twitter @BuffFaye