The past months have presented more extraordinary challenges for our world than we would have ever thought possible — pandemic, social unrest, political strife, weather disasters and more. Those who provide services to the LGBTQ community and others have had their fair share of difficulties through it all and could certainly use a bit of assistance from those around them.
qnotes reached out to a number of churches, service organizations and agencies, AIDS support groups and community centers, among others, to see what their needs were for the 2020 holiday season. Here is a list of those who responded to our call. Of course, there are many more who could use assistance, be it items for food pantries, goods for operations, gifts-in-kind, and most especially, funds to help make up the shortfalls that have plagued those who serve the community during these stressful days. Be it one of those listed below or others, if budgets permit, share with those who could use the support during the season of giving.
Carolinas CARE Partnership
5855 Executive Center Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28212
• Personal items
• Move-in Items
Bathroom shower curtains and mats
Dudley’s Place at Rosedale Health and Wellness
103 Commerce Centre Cr., Suite 103
Huntersville, NC 28078
• Gift cards to Harris Teeter or Food Lion in $25 denominations
Personal Care Items:
Shop online via Amazon at the following link — smile.amazon.com/hz/charitylist/ls/3UQFLSWV5DOTN or drop off any of the following items in person at the Rosedale Health and Wellness’s office.
• Body wash
• Body lotion
• Dish soap
• Paper towels
• Toilet paper
• Shaving cream
• Laundry detergent
Pantry direct donation:
3520 Dewitt Ln.
Wednesdays, 12-5 p.m.
Shop on Amazon:
Pantry’s WISH LIST at amzn.to/3miNavy.
Have your company or organization fund a week of food for 150 families for $1,000 by donating at bit.ly/3kY4mW2.
Non-perishable food items:
• Canned vegetables & fruit
• Canned tuna & chicken
• Small bags of rice
• Mini boxes of cereal
• Peanut butter
• Spaghetti sauce
• Boxed meals
House of Mercy
100 McAuley Cir.
Belmont, NC 28012
• Christmas gifts (the church that usually does Christmas gifts for residents is not going to be able to do that, so House of Mercy is in need of things they can use)
• Meals and drinks (bottled juice, soda, Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, tea bags, Gatorade)
• Individually wrapped snacks,
• Fruit cups
• Pantry staples
• Canned foods
• Gift cards (WalMart, Cook Out, Pizza Hut, Golden Corral, Tony’s Ice Cream, KFC, Dairy Queen, local restaurants)
• Personal care products
Dove soap (bar or liquid)
Dove body wash
• Cleaning products
Liquid dish detergent
• Household items
XL garbage bags
• Storage cabinets
• Pots and pans
• Knife sharpener
• Paper goods
• Glitter set
• Bird/animal feeders
Visit bit.ly/HOMWISHES for the complete list.
LGBT Center of Raleigh
19 W. Hargett St.
Raleigh, NC 27601
Winter Care Packages for Youth and Seniors
• Travel-size hand sanitizer
• Travel-size lotion
Mutual aid food pantry
• Canned goods (vegan only)
• Tomato sauce
• Granola bars (vegan only)
• Oatmeal (vegan only)
Loving Food Resources
123 Kenilworth Rd.
Asheville, NC 28003
• Boxed breakfast cereal
• Cooking oil
• Soups (hearty and chunky)
• Dry soup
• Canned meat-vienna sausage, tuna
• Coffee (ground), tea
• Canned beans (pinto, black, kidney)
• Canned mixed veggies
• Nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, peanuts)
• Quick and easy (canned ravioli, spaghetti)
• Desks (up to 10, prefer adjustable sit to stand desks)
• Computer chairs (up to 10)
• Laptops, desktop and monitors, keyboards, mice (up to 12)
• Funds to go toward opening up an LGBTQ community wellness center (ow.ly/UToq50CmQCp)
601 E. 5th St., Suite 470
Charlotte, NC 28202
• $25 gift cards to Walmart and Food Lion
• Amazon Wish List items — bit.ly/RAINCLT
Snacks for client usage
Food preparation paper goods (cups, containers, plates, cutlery)
Time Out Youth Center
3800 Monroe Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28205
Annual Give The Gift Campaign Items
Included are contributions to:
• A Wish Come True (wish list from youth in need)
• Financial Assistance (Emergency Financial Assistance Program/hardship or crisis)
• Housing (Host Home Program support)
• Life Essentials (toiletries and other bare necessities)
• Transportation (bus and train passes, Uber and Lyft gift cards)
• Food (dry goods for food pantry)
• Communication (cell phones)
• Art (supplies for creativity)
• Laundry (laundry pods, bleach pods or crystals, dryer sheets)
• Fun (video games, prizes, give-aways)
• Financial Support (tax-deductible contributions)
• Operational Support (office supplies, beverages, cleaning supplies, paper goods, tissue, etc.)
• Education (current fiction and non-fiction literature on LGBTQ topics as well as other items to assist with outreach and educational efforts)
Visit timeoutyouth.org/givethegift for the complete list.
Join us: This story is made possible with the help of qnotes’ contributors. If you’d like to show your support so qnotes can provide more news, features and opinion pieces like this, give a regular or one-time donation today.