Support this project!
As part of the project, we’ve launched the Carolinas LGBTQ Journalism Fund, via Local Media Foundation. Your tax-deductible donation will help us develop this platform and provide opportunities for more LGBTQ journalism.
June is National LGBTQ Pride Month and in recognition of the vital role that the queer-run press has played in visibility of the LGBTQ community, we have a goal to raise $30,000 this month to support more voices and stories of our community through journalism.
We believe that today’s LGBTQ communities in North and South Carolinas need a news outlet that celebrates their unique and diverse voices and lived experiences. QnotesCarolinas.org will provide a new online platform that amplifies these stories and creates a hub for online engagement that is community-sourced and supported, community-involved and hyper-local.
Read our project plan. Click here
- A local community news organization.
- A project to support and amplify the work of LGBTQ journalists in North and South Carolina.
- A place that highlights the voices of BIPOC journalists and the stories of rural families.
- Focused on reaching people where they are – despite socio-economic barriers that prevent them from getting the news that matters.
- A community forum that furthers dialogue among our readers and with local journalists to root out the stories that aren’t being told in mainstream press.
- A recorded history of LGBTQ people living in the South.
The Google GNI Innovation Challenge
Funding from the Google GNI Innovation Challenge will allow the organization to build out this new website and offer storytelling and community reporting workshops. It will also cover engineering and software costs associated with building out interactive portals where readers and journalists can take part in meaningful conversations through community forums, as well as supporting each other.
The project starts with pilot programs in the Charlotte region and Central North Carolina. That model will allow for future expansion across the Carolinas.
The Google News Initiative’s North American Innovation Challenge received 215 applications from the U.S. and Canada. “It is especially important this year to tackle innovative ideas, and the 33 projects we’re funding look at diversity, equity and inclusion through many different lenses, all focused around the communities they serve,” said LaToya Drake, head of media representation at Google News Initiative, in a blogpost on Dec. 15. Read more.
More Events Coming Soon!