AboutContact Us

SCC presents ‘Queen City Stomp’
Charlotte Lesbian & Gay Community Center to receive 90 percent from annual fundraiser

compiled by Q-Notes Staff

Queen City Stomp takes place April 13-15 Photo: William Strope

CHARLOTTE — It has been extensively reported that the Lesbian & Gay Community Center of Charlotte has been having severe cash flow issues. Even before that news became widely known, Southern Country Charlotte (SCC) was working on a deal to designate 90 percent of the proceeds from their very successful Queen City Stomp to the Community Center.

Over the last four years the Queen City Stomp has gotten bigger and raised more money for its designated charities. In 2006, $20,000 was split evenly between the Community Center and Time Out Youth. For 2007, 90 percent of the net proceeds will go to the Community Center and the remaining 10 percent will go to Time Out Youth.

“SCC has a long history of supporting both the Community Center and Time Out Youth,”? says Curtis Tutt, president of Southern Country Charlotte. “The Center really needs our support this year, but Time Out Youth has come to rely on funds from this event as well. That’s the reason for the 90/10 split. We’re counting on everyone to help us break our own records and help both of these organizations that mean so much to our community.”

The Queen City Stomp, commonly known as a hoedown, boasts two evenings of country dancing, as well as silent auctions, dance workshops, dance exhibitions, cocktail parties, after-hours parties and a barbeque lunch. It is one of the premier events in a growing circuit of gay and lesbian country music and rodeo events. All activities take place at The Charlotte Eagle, a gay nightclub located off South Blvd. near Woodlawn Rd., or at the Four Points by Sheraton Charlotte, the host hotel located on Woodlawn Rd.

Food Lion is the premier corporate sponsor for the 2006 Stomp and is sponsoring a large tent that will house a custom built dance floor. Lebo’s Western Wear is also a major event sponsor.
People from all over the southeast, as well as Cincinnati, Washington, D.C., and Boston, regularly attend the annual Stomp. Registration for the full weekend of activities is $50 through March 27. After that the price goes up to $60.

Renowned dance instructors and choreographers from Georgia, Tennessee, Texas and right here in North Carolina will be leading workshops Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.-noon.

If you are not a big fan of country music and dancing, you can still support the beneficiaries and the event with a tax-deductible sponsorship. If you sign up before March 27, your name will be listed in the event booklet, on the website and displayed during the event. Levels are Platinum, $1,000; Gold, $500; Silver, $250; and Bronze $100.

For more information about the organization or to sponsor the 2007 Queen City Stomp, visit www.SouthernCountryCharlotte.com.

The registration link provides access to an online form allowing you to pay with any major credit card or a form you can print and mail with your check to Southern Country Charlotte, P.O. Box 668690, Charlotte, NC 28266-8690

About Southern Country Charlotte

Southern Country Charlotte, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to promote country music and dance while supporting local charities and LGBT events, was founded in 1991. In 1993 SCC united with other clubs to charter the International Association of Gay and Lesbian Country Western Dance Clubs (www.IAGLCWDC.org), which coordinates the activities of its member clubs and serves as a central source of information about the gay and lesbian country dance scene. Today member clubs are located in Canada, Germany and the Netherlands as well as all across the United States. Over the years, Southern Country Charlotte has contributed more than $68,000 to local organizations such as Charlotte Pride, House of Mercy, The Lesbian & Gay Community Center, Project HALO, P-FLAG and Time Out Youth.
— For more information about the 2007 Queen City Stomp or to register for the event, go to the SCC website, www.SouthernCountryCharlotte.com, or call 704-845-6748.

WWW Q-Notes.Com

Ride ’em cowboy! Queen City Stomp spurs up
Technology tests candidates
N.C. House expulsion could have LGBT impact
Center finds new home
Pride releases 2007 finances
European Scouts take liberal stance on sex, drugs
N.C. gay rights profit from Senator’s wife
10-year study debunks bisexual ‘phase’
Ketner files for coastal congressional run
AFFA celebrates year of achievement
Neal receives key endorsement, makes another
Couples face tax headaches
New website refutes the ‘ex-gay’ myth
HRC to launch second annual True Colors tour

Organically yours: a labor of love
Organic gardening and food tips
Easy ways to live greener
‘Stop-Loss’ examines unjust war policy
Kaki King dreams of another brilliant year
A call for rural queer youth support


find a Q-Notes Newspaper near you
A call for rural queer youth support