Find a fit that’s right for you when you take a look at these opportunities to have your words published.
‘Gay City: Volume One’
The queer anthology “Gay City: Volume One” is seeking submissions of comic art, fiction, poetry, and photography that serve to promote the “Gay City” mission of preventing HIV transmission through building community, fostering communications and nurturing self-esteem among gay men. While the content of submissions should be focused on gay men, contributing artists may be of any orientation and gender.
They are looking for fresh takes on the gay aesthetic beyond the usual clichés. Is there such a thing as a gay landscape or homo-surrealism or queer futurism? Do submitters have an entirely unique take on the homoerotic (note: they are not seeking erotica) or the closet or coming out that they haven’t seen before? They are creating a cross between the New Yorker and Christopher Street that pushes “gay” upward into a new territory beyond the confines of mere sexual behavior.
1. Hardcopy, disposable submissions are requested, sent to the address below. If accepted, an electronic copy will be requested.
2. Send two copies of all work.
3. Include one $5 submission fee per 3,000 words of fiction, or up to four poems, or up to six photographs, or up to eight pages of comic art (formatted for a 6x9 book).
4. Name and contact information should not appear on the work itself, only on the coversheet, along with the title of the work. The title should appear on each page of the work.
5. All submissions should be in black and white and professionally presented.
6. Include a brief cover letter with a short bio of up to 150 words.
7. Include an SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) for reply.
8. Do not call to request the status of your submission.
They pay if and when funds are available, at $10/page, with a maximum payment of $50; contributing artist/authors receive a complimentary copy. One piece from each discipline will receive the “Editor’s Choice Award” of an additional $50.
“Gay City: Volume One”
511 East Pike St.
Seattle, WA 98122
For more information, visit www.GayCity.Org.
Editor: Vincent Kovar
Publisher: Gay City Health Project
Disciplines: Comic Art, Fiction, Poetry, and Photography
Submission Deadline: Postmarked Sept. 29, 2007
Kinsey’s Work at 60: Call for Academic Papers and Creative Nonfiction
The editors are now collecting material for a nonfiction anthology commemorating the 60th anniversary of the 1948 publication of “Sexual Behavior in the Human Male” by Alfred C. Kinsey, et. al., to be published as an issue of the Journal of Bisexuality, as well as a co-published trade edition.
Scholarly, journalistic, and nonacademic essays and creative nonfiction on all topics related to the book, its publication in English and translation, its authors and its immediate and long-term impact on bisexuality, as well as all aspects of bisexuality in the 2004 motion picture “Kinsey,” will be considered. Original contributor and reprint remuneration will be determined.
Query immediately to Ron Jackson Suresha, guest editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or POB 2278, New London, CT 06320. Include in the query: proposed title, a two to three paragraph summary, estimated word count, and author bio or CV.
Original submissions should be prepared according to standard manuscript format and include cover letter with full address, phone number(s), email address, word count and 150-word-maximum bio. Authors must provide electronic text upon acceptance.
Query deadline: Sept. 1, 2007
Manuscript deadline: Dec.1, 2007
Editor: Ron Jackson Suresha