‘Brokeback Mountain’ collectors edition just out on DVD
by Amy Kugali
Heath Ledger (right) and Jake Gyllenhaal star in ‘Brokeback Mountain.’
Winner of three Academy Awards, including Best Director, the movie that became a cultural phenomenon, “Brokeback Mountain,” is now available in a remarkable two-disc Collector’s Edition. Relive the sweeping epic that explores the lives of two young men (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal), a ranch hand and a rodeo cowboy, who meet in the summer of 1963 and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection. With all-new bonus features, never-before-seen footage and highly collectible postcards, this definitive set magnifies the emotion, drama and power of one of cinema’s most groundbreaking films.
• A Groundbreaking Success — In an original documentary, the film’s producers and cast talk about bringing this unusual story to the screen on their terms. The film also examines the phenomenal attention garnered by the movie, including the numerous parodies that were inspired by its theme.
• Music From the Mountain — Composer Gustavo Santaolalla, who won an Oscar for his emotional soundtrack, anchors a breakdown of the movie’s unforgettable music. Includes interviews with each of the featured artists and a trip to the studio with the legendary Willie Nelson as he records his touching version of Bob Dylan’s “He Was a Friend of Mine.”
• Impressions From the Film — The raw beauty and splendor of the American West are masterfully showcased in a photomontage of the film’s sweeping vistas.
• On Being A Cowboy — Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal discuss their preparations for the film, including rodeo and wrangling training. Exclusive on-set interviews with the film’s stunt coordinator are also featured.
• Directing From The Heart: Ang Lee — Director Ang Lee is profiled in this intimate behind-the-scenes look at the creative force that brought the absorbing story of “Brokeback Mountain” to life.
• From Script to Screen: Interviews with Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana — The writers discuss bringing Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx’s visionary short story to the screen.
• Sharing the Story: The Making of “Brokeback Mountain” — This featurette follows the filmmaking process from start to finish and introduces the cast and crew who brought “Brokeback Mountain” to life through in-depth interviews, exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, and more.